Sunday 25 July 2010

Bits from the sketchbook.

Finally scanned in some stuff from my current sketchbook!


I always have one on the go and take it practically everywhere. :) The one I have at the moment is a little bigger than what I usually work with but I like it all the same. There's no set theme, though I tend to doodle portraits quite often- not of anyone in particular.
















Though sometimes my college work will spill over into them. :) My last project was on illustrating Russian Folktales.
















I eventually settled on 'Ivan Tsarevitch, The Grey Wolf and The Firebird' and I may well put up the final illustrations in another post...


2 comments:

  1. I love that you did a portrait from behind, angles are so tricky. And it sounded like a really interesting project. Theres a famous Russian ballet called the Firebird, you can more than certainly watch it on Youtube, love, war, Russian mentalness and a beautiful depiction of the firebird. Check it out some time if your feeling bored or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd been trying to think of a way to draw Vasilisa (the girl in the drawing) differently to how I'd seen her portrayed before and that's the first thing that came to mind. ^_^ Plus big skirts are fun! The project itself was fun to do- I'd already done something similar for my SIP- though I didn't do as well as I could've done; only got a pass. The illustrations are all up on FB though- I'll throw them up on here once I've resized everything.

    You know what, I DID start watching The Firebird a while ago, must get back to it. I'm not sure how close to the story it is but it looked gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete